"It's not who we are underneath; it's what we do that defines our character."
"There’s a beautiful sadness in wanting to meet someone or something again in the next life."
Reblogged from paramedicpixie
Things I have done for less than $15/hr:
- delivered a baby born at 22 weeks
- had a dead two month old thrust into my arms by a frantic mother screaming “Save her!”
- worked 24 hour shifts with no sleep or meal breaks
- had to tell a woman her husband was gone a week before their 60th anniversary
- been pooped, puked, bled on
- been assaulted by someone I was trying to help
- missed my son’s birthday and soccer games, Christmas with my family, a close friends funeral, multiple weddings.
But I’ve also been able to deliver multiple healthy babies, hold the hands of WW2 vets and make them laugh, bring people back from death and just be there to let people know that someone cares.
We don’t do this for the money but we’re worth more than $10/hr.